Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 21 The great dig out

Digging out my neighbors
Event done on 12-20

Event

I'm not sure if you're aware, but it snowed in Maryland. It snowed a lot. BWI got 21 inches, the average snow fall for the year is 19 inches.

So when I started to ask for ideas about what I could do for people, besides making cookies, the next most requested was shelve someone's driveway.

I started on Saturday at 9:30 am. I dug out my neighbor's driveway and his walkway. I also shelved the woman down the street who left car light on her walkway.

By 10 am, it was impossible to tell I had done anything at all.

Sunday, take two.

Ok so why am I so obsessed with helping the woman who left her light on? Last year, we had an ice storm. My hubby dug out our driveway and all the street in front of our house. We live on a street with 20 other houses. Only one other person came out to help him. For the life of me, I can't remember his name, I call him, Nice Guy. Nice Guy helped my husband. From what I've gathered Nice Guy is also in the military. AT one point he was supposed to do a few months in Afghanistan. I haven't seen in around since Halloween, which means, most likely, he's over seas.

Since having my daughter, I find myself constantly relying on my husband. I can't image not having him for a while.

Nice Guy is married to Lady who left her car lights on.

I felt it was my duty to help her dig out of her house. I dug a path from her car to her front door. Then I dug a path to her garage cans. And a started to dig out her car. She came out and said, 'You don't have to do that."
I told her her husband helped my husband last snow storm, its the very least I could do.

By the way, the snow plow came by at 7 pm last night and put a three foot wall in front of every drive. This snow isn't as light and fluff as the rest of the snow. the plowed snow is heartbreaking. Its so high, and sort of iced over and heavy. It's very overwhelming.

I pointed to it. "I'm leaving you the worst part." I laughed and she did too. But at least she had a head start. Here's the thing, some people don't like help, they interpret as pity. I didn't want to push the line between being nice and being annoying. So I respected her wishes while she was still happy.

As I walked back to my house, my NEW next door neighbor was shoveling the depressing mountain of plowed snow. I started to help him. I told him all about the blog. Maybe he's reading it now.

Reaction:
Who doesn't like it when there's a little less work for them to do? Both people were very grateful.

Would I do it again? I normally try to help out my neighbors when it snows.
Cost: None, but my back is a little sore.
Effort: Yeah it took a lot, but it is what it is and everyone had to dig out.
Time: about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment